You can always get emergency help.
Dial 100 if you are at MIT (the MIT campus emergency number).
The Police at MIT: 617.253.1212
MIT Medical: 617.253.4481
Or check out: http://web.mit.edu/emergency/ if you are wondering if something unusual is happening on campus.
Off the record
If you are not sure where to go, or you want to discuss a matter confidentially or surface a concern without giving your name, please feel free to visit us or call us—the Ombuds Office—in Room 10-213, or at 617.253.5921. Ethics concerns are welcome—you can discuss your concern off the record. You also may call outside of normal working hours and leave an anonymous message on our voice mail.
You might want to consider the following list of resources, check their websites and see which resource best fits your concerns. If you have concerns about confidentiality and privacy, please raise these concerns during your initial contact:
- Audit: http://audit.mit.edu
- Committee on Race and Diversity: http://diversity.mit.edu/crd
- Community Wellness at MIT Medical: http://web.mit.edu/wellness/
- Conflict Resolution@MIT: http://studentlife.mit.edu/conflictmanagement
- Dean for Student Life (with many units): http://studentlife.mit.edu
- Disabilities Services:
For Students: http://studentlife.mit.edu/sds
For Employees: http://hrweb.mit.edu/benefits/life-events/illness-disability/accommodations-employees
- Diversity and Inclusion (Inventing Our Future): http://hrweb.mit.edu/diversity/ (see especially “Diversity Resources”)
- Employee Assistance Program: MIT MyLife Services: http://hrweb.mit.edu/worklife/mitmylifeservices
- Environment, Health and Safety: http://ehs.mit.edu
- Ethics Point (hotline): http://hotline.mit.edu
- General Counsel: http://web.mit.edu/ogc/
- Graduate and Undergraduate Administrators in your department
- Human Resources (with many units): http://hrweb.mit.edu
- Line Management relevant to the issue
- Medical Department (with many units): http://medweb.mit.edu/
- Office of Graduate Education: http://web.mit.edu/oge/
- Police at MIT: http://police.mit.edu
- Religious Counselors: http://studentlife.mit.edu/rl/who-we-are
- Resources for Easing Friction and Stress (REFS) in various academic departments: http://refs.mit.edu
- Stopit@mit: (Email harassment) http://ist.mit.edu/security/stopit/
- Student Outreach and Support: http://studentlife.mit.edu/wellness-and-support/residential-education
- Student Support Services (S3): http://studentlife.mit.edu/s3
- Violence Prevention and Response (VPR): http://medweb.mit.edu/wellness/programs/violence_prevention.html
- Work-Life Center:
- Working Group on Support Staff Issues: http://wgssi.mit.edu
MIT Ombudspersons: Toni P. Robinson, Judi Segall
MIT Ombuds Office, Room 10-213
77 Massachusetts Ave., Cambridge, MA 02139-4307
Phone 617.253.5921, Fax 617.253.1931, Web: http://ombud.mit.edu
At Lincoln Lab you can call: Allison MacDonald (x181.2382) or Lori McGonagle (x181.4851).
Updated August 3, 2017
May be used with permission from the MIT Ombuds Office, MIT, Room 10-213, Cambridge, MA 02139.