Useful Reading on Negotiation and Conflict Management
Throughout our work we have found a host of helpful books, articles, listservs, and other web resources that help improve a user's negotiation and conflict management skills. While we do not endorse every opinion expressed by all of the authors, we do believe that most of these readings and listservs provide extremely helpful tools for individuals and teams in handling difficult situations.
- Bolton, Robert H., People Skills: How to Assert Yourself, Listen to Others, and Resolve Conflicts, Prentice Hall, 1979.
- Brams, Steven J. and Alan D. Taylor, The Win-win Solution, Norton, 1999.
- Bramson, Robert, Coping With Difficult Bosses, Simon & Schuster, 1992.
- Bramson, Robert, Coping With Difficult People, Anchor, Doubleday, 1981.
- Brinkman, Rick and Rick Kirschner, Dealing with People You Can’t Stand, McGraw Hill, 1994.
- Bush, Robert A. and Joseph P. Folger, The Promise of Mediation: Responding to Conflict Through Empowerment and Recognition, Jossey-Bass, 1994.
- Cavenagh, Thomas D., Business Dispute Resolution, West Legal Studies in Business, (Thomson), 2000.
- Costantino, Cathy and Christina Sickles Merchant, Designing Conflict Management Systems, Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- Crum, Thomas F., The Magic of Conflict: Turning a Life of Work into a Work of Art, Simon and Schuster, 1988.
- Ewing, David, W., Justice in the Work Place, HBS Press, 1990.
- Fisher, Roger and Scott Brown, Getting Together: Building a Relationship That Gets to Yes, Houghton Mifflin, 1988.
- Fisher, Roger and Danny Ertel, Getting Ready to Negotiate: The Getting to Yes Workbook, Penguin Books, 1995.
- Fisher, Roger, William L. Ury and Bruce Patton, Getting To Yes: Negotiating Agreement Without Giving In, Houghton Mifflin, 1992.
- Goleman, Daniel, Emotional Intelligence, Bantam, 1995.
- Gray, Barbara, Collaborating: Finding Common Ground for Multiparty Problems, Jossey-Bass, 1989.
- Kolb, Deborah and Judith Williams, The Shadow Negotiation, Simon and Schuster, 2000.
- Koren, Leonard and Peter Goodman, One Hour to Negotiating Power, W.W. Norton & Company, 1992.
- Moore, Christopher, The Mediation Process: Practical Strategies for Resolving Conflict, Jossey-Bass,1996.
- Slaikeu, Karl, When Push Comes to Shove, A Practical Guide to Mediating Disputes, Jossey-Bass, 1996.
- Slaikeu, Karl and Ralph Hasson, Controlling the Costs of Conflict, Jossey-Bass, 1998.
- Solomon, Muriel, Working with Difficult People, Prentice Hall, 1990.
- Stone, Douglas, Bruce Patton and Sheila Heen, Difficult Conversations, How to Discuss What Matters Most, Viking, 1999.
- Tannen, Deborah, You Just Don't Understand, William Morrow and Company, 1990.
- Ury, William L., Getting Past No. Bantam, 1993.
- Ury, William L., The Third Side, Penguin, 2000.
- Ury, William L., Jeanne M. Brett and Stephen B. Goldberg, Getting Disputes Resolved: Designing Systems to Cut the Costs of Conflict, Jossey-Bass, 1988.
- Vagiste, Karin, Settle It, Sterling House, 1999.
- Walker, Michael A. and George L. Harris, Negotiations: Six Steps to Success, Prentice Hall, 1995.
- Walton, R.E., Joel Cutcher-Gershenfeld and Robert McKersie, Strategic Negotiations, HBS Press, 1994.
- Association for Conflict Resolution
- Campus Conflict Resolution Resources
- Center for Peacemaking and Conflict Studies
- Harvard/MIT/Tufts Program on Negotiation
- Mediation Information Resource Center (Clearinghouse of mediation providers, programs, articles)
- National Association for Community Mediation
- UMass Boston Program in Dispute Resolution
- Victim Offender Mediation Association
- Negotiation Journal
- Mediation Quarterly