This compilation of publications offers information relevant to establishing and maintaining a professional Ombuds practice which adheres to a common code of ethics and standards of practice. It also includes writings that are useful to those within and outside of MIT who want to better understand and/or establish an Ombuds practice. Articles are in chronological order.
2. Conflict Management Systems and the Ombudsman Role Therein
- "People Who Feel Harassed Need a Complaint System with both Formal and Informal Options," (PDF) in Negotiation Journal, April, 1990, Vol. 6, No. 2, pp. 161-172.
- "The Ombudsman's Role in a Dispute Resolution System," (PDF) Negotiation Journal, October, 1991, Vol. 7, No. 4, pp. 353-361.
- "Options and Choice for Conflict Resolution in the Workplace" (PDF) in Negotiation: Strategies for Mutual Gain, by Lavinia Hall, ed., Sage Publications, Inc., 1993, pp. 105-119.
- Analyzing your Complaint System – a Diagnostic (PDF)
- Analyzing your Complaint System — a Representative Table (PDF)
- “Organizational Systems for Dealing with Conflict & Learning from Conflict—an Introduction;” “Systems for Dealing with Conflict and Learning from Conflict—Options for Complaint-Handling: an Illustrative Case;” “An Organizational Ombuds Office In a System for Dealing with Conflict and Learning from Conflict, or ‘Conflict Management System’;” A Supplemental Chart “Analyzing Your Conflict Management System,” in a series of six articles with Brian Bloch and David Miller, Harvard Negotiation Law Review, 2009. (citation for on-line articles)
3. Some Specific Topics in Organizational Ombuds Practice
- "Helping People Help Themselves: an Option for Complaint Handlers," (PDF) Negotiation Journal, July, 1990, Vol. 6, No. 3, pp. 239-248.
- "People With Delusions or Quasi-Delusions Who ‘Won't Let Go’," (PDF) Journal of the University and College Ombuds Association, Occasional Paper, Number 1, Fall, 1994.
- "Options, Functions, and Skills: What the Organizational Ombudsperson Might Want to Know," (PDF) Negotiation Journal, April 1995, Vol. 11, No. 2, pp. 103-114, also reprinted by The Ombudsman Association, 1995.
- “Helping bystanders take responsibility for diversity,” with Maureen Scully and Laura Moorehead, Cultural Diversity at Work, The GilDeane Group, Inc.,Vol. 10:6, July, 1998, p. 14.
- “Dealing with the Fear of Violence, What an Organizational Ombudsman Might Want to Know” (PDF) with Linda Wilcox, The Ombudsman Association, 2000.
- “Workplace Justice, Zero Tolerance and Zero Barriers: Getting People to Come Forward in Conflict Management Systems,” (PDF) with Corinne Bendersky, in Negotiations and Change, From the Workplace to Society, Thomas Kochan and Richard Locke (editors), Cornell University Press, 2002.
- “Dealing with—or Reporting—Unacceptable Behavior” (PDF) with Linda Wilcox (HMS) and Howard Gadlin (NIH), the Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, Winter 2009, 2(1).
- “Bystander Training within Organizations,” (PDF) the Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, Winter 2009, 2(1).
- “Concerns about Bullying at Work As Heard by Organizational Ombudsmen,” (PDF) with Lydia Cummings, in Labor and Employee Relations, September 2010.
- “What Happens to Confidentiality if a Visitor Refuses to Report Unacceptable Behavior?” (PDF) in Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, Fall 2011, 4(2), pp. 40-43.
- “Informality, the Fourth Standard of Practice (PDF),” in Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, Winter, 2012, 5(1), pp. 8-17.
- (Please also see many advisories, including “Drafting a Letter —and perhaps sending—a Private Letter to Someone who has Harassed or Offended You,” (PDF) and “Keeping Notes—Writing a Diary” (PDF) listed under SELF-HELP on the website)
4. The Organizational Ombudsman Profession
- "An Overview of Client and Internal Ombudsmen," Journal of Health and Human Resources Administration, Vol. 15, No. 3, Winter, 1993, pp. 259-260.
- “What is it like to be an Organizational Ombudsperson?” for the 50th year celebration Journal of the IRRA, Perspectives on Work, Vol. 1, no. 2, 1998.
- "The Organizational Ombuds," (PDF) with Wilbur Hicks, from the Research Book for Managing Employment Disputes, CPR Institute for Dispute Resolution, Inc., 2004
- “The Organizational Ombudsman,” with Yoshiko Takahashi, in The Japanese Journal of Labour Studies, Vol. 48, January 2006, No. 1, pp. 46-56.
5. Effectiveness and Usefulness of Organizational Ombudsmen
- "Cost-Effectiveness of Ombudsman Offices," with Anthony Perneski, in the Corporate Ombudsman Newsletter, May, 1990.
- "Corporate Ombudsmen: Functions, Caseloads, Successes and Problems," with James T. Ziegenfuss, a 1989 survey of 55 corporate ombudsmen Journal of Health and Human Resources Administration, Vol. 15, No. 3, Winter 1993, pp. 261-280.
- "Perspectives on Costs and Cost Effectiveness of Ombudsman Programs in Four Fields," with James T. Ziegenfuss, Gary Hall, Anthony Perneski and Marshall Lux (an analysis of five types of ombudsman offices), Journal of Health and Human Resources Administration, Vol. 15, No. 3, Winter 1993, pp. 281-312.
- “Effectiveness of Organizational Ombudsmen, ” (PDF) with Mary Simon, in The Ombudsman Association Handbook, Chapter IV, The Ombudsman Association, Hillsborough, NJ, 2001, pp. 4-01 to 4-22. 2001 update dated April 2002.
- “Identifying and Communicating the Usefulness of Organizational Ombuds, With Ideas about OO Effectiveness and Cost-Effectiveness” (PDF) in the Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, Winter 2010, 3(1).
6. Micro-inequities, Micro-affirmations; the Minutiae of Discrimination
- “Micro-affirmations & Micro-inequities,” (PDF) Journal of the International Ombudsman Association, March 2008, 1(1).
7. MIT Articles and Materials
- Conflicts of Interest Arising from Personal Relationships (PDF) , appeared in the MIT Faculty Newsletter, Vol. X No. 1, September 1997
- Cumulative Effects of Apparently Small Events (PDF), appeared in the MIT Faculty Newsletter, Vol. XIV No. 4, 2002.
- Requests for Personal Work May Pose a Conflict of Interest (PDF), appeared in the MIT Faculty Newsletter, Vol. XV No. 4, February/March 2003
- Negotiation and Conflict Management (15.667), Sloan School of Management